Thursday, July 14, 2011

just visiting

I'm staying with my family in Redington Beach this week, so I've gone to a different location of my gym to get in my workouts this week. Although the fact that I started my half marathon training officially on Monday is exciting, it's nothing compared to the amazing things that have happened or I've seen since going to this different gym.

First of all, I must say that nothing that exciting really happens at my gym. It's your standard group of people; this one I'm visiting is definitely more frequented by older people (I live in Florida), which has led to these great stories I wanted to share.

On Monday (workout: 3 miles in 30:20), as I was wrapping up, a man and woman came into the cardio area and jumped on the treadmills. From their dress, it appeared that this was just a stop on their errand list.
Sorry for the poor photo quality. I was trying to be discreet, and as you'll hear in a second, there are mirrors in front of the treadmills. 

I'm not one to judge, and I think it's great that people work out as they get up in age, but could I recommend different attire? I'm not sure wedge sandals and boat shoes are the best choice when heading to the gym to get in the daily workout. I'm sure I could be wrong, though...

Today, those mirrors in front of the treadmills were more funny than a problem. What do you call people who get on the treadmill right next to you and crane their neck to see what you're doing? I'll call him a gawker. As I was a mile into my run for the day, he decided to jump on the treadmill RIGHT NEXT TO MINE (there were plenty) and immediately start running without warming up. He was probably between 50 and 65. Again, good for him for jumping on the treadmill to run.

I think he was trying to show off that he could beat me, however. As I would increase speed for the next few minutes, he would too. He was huffing and puffing, and then he had to stop and walk for a minute or two. Then, he picked right back up running at my pace. And I'm positive that he was looking because I could see him craning his neck in the mirror to see what speed I was going before adjusting his. Not to say that I'm any speed demon, because it's clear that I'm not, but it just killed me that he was trying to show off and keep up with me without even warming up...and then that he had to stop and get off right as I was cooling down. Really?! Thanks for playing!

And as an aside, I may or may not have increased my distance and speed from what I was supposed to be doing to make him keep up. I mean, if he wants to play that game, I'm all in!

My workout today was 3 miles (Mile 1: 6mph, Mile 2: 6.3 mph, Mile 2-2.5: 6.8 mph, Mile 2.5-3: 7 mph)

Have you ever seen gawkers at the gym? Are you ever guilty of being one? I have to admit sometimes I peek, but I never follow someone's workout or try to show them up...please.

1 comment:

  1. By the way, I am impressed with your 30:20 3-miler. I haven't gotten that quick yet (I blame my short, stubby, little legs!). I am motivated by your time though!

    ReplyDelete